Ethiopia historically introduced radiation technology using X-ray machines way back in the 1960s at the medical facility called Emperor Haile-Selassie Hospital.
The following two decades laid a strong foundation for the genesis of the Authority preceded by the coming into being of the pathos-biology department under Addis Ababa University. The focus was mainly on personal monitoring service and work area monitoring of radiological centers - but without any legal basis.
There was no legal enforcement except willingness to take the services. A joint effort involving the University, then Ethiopian Science and Technology Commission-ESTC, and the Ministry of Health culminated into national legislation.
The legislation governing the regulatory control of ionizing radiation sources was in acted 1993 - with the promulgation of the Radiation Protection Proclamation no. 79/1993 (National Radiation Protection Authority- NRPA).The former National RP Law of 79/1993 is amended by 571/2008.Currently, the proclamation has been amended incorporating the nuclear, security and safeguards issue by proclamation number 1025/2009.
The Ethiopian Radiation Protection Authority (ERPA), as a competent government body is empowered by the law to regulate: the use, storage, transport, export, transfer, sale, disposal, etc. of radiation emitting devices and sealed or unsealed radioactive sources,
Moreover, any legal body who intends to conduct radiological practice using radiation sources or X-ray generator equipment need to notify the Authority earlier and shall get a license to practice. During notification the Authority provides specific regulatory control requirements required for the type of application.
The Ethiopian Radiation Protection Authority is one of the institutions organized under the Ministry of Innovation and Technology and is located around Bulgaria Mazoriya in Addis Ababa.
0 job(s) at Ethiopian Radiation Protection Authority